How to Treat Sunburned Skin
While the days of rubbing one’s skin in baby oil and laying out for hours at a time are no longer, sunburns still happen to almost everyone – even the most careful people – at some point in one’s life. But this summer you can avoid the danger and discomfort of sunburn by checking out our recommendations for sunscreens – and if you do still get a bit burnt, we have some top tips for treating sunburned skin!
Top Sunscreens to Prevent Sunburn
There is a seemingly endless list of sunscreens on the market these days, all of which promise various levels of protection, natural ingredients, and moisturizing benefits. Here, we break the options down for you, giving you our choices for what sunscreens are best for you, no matter what your needs are!
- Best Dermatologist Recommended Sunscreen: La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Body and Face Sunscreen (SPF 60). This sunscreen combines UVA/UVB filters to deliver broad spectrum protection. It has antioxidants which protect your skin from free radicals, and also has a smooth velvety texture making it easy to apply. We like that it is fragrance and paraben-free, so everyone can use it, even on your face. You should reapply at least every 2 hours after swimming or sweating.
- Best Overall Sunscreen: Coppertone Water Babies (SPF 50). This sunscreen provides an amazing amount of protection, and is priced very well. It’s the perfect choice for family vacations and trips to the pool, as it also protects for up to 80 minutes of swim time. Just be sure to reapply every two hours!
- Best Natural Sunscreen: Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense Sunscreen (SPF 50). Though a bit on the pricey side, this sunscreen from Kiehl’s is unbeatable in terms of its natural ingredients, high SPF, and overall effectiveness in protecting your skin from the sun’s damaging UV rays. It’s also oil-free and lightweight, making it perfect for using on your face as well!
- Best Sunscreen for Kids: Pure Sun Defense Minions Sunscreen Lotion (SPF 50). Perhaps surprisingly, this Disney-themed sunscreen isn’t just a gimmick – it’s incredibly effective and suitable for the whole family to use! It’s also fragrance-free and hypoallergenic, so it can even be applied on baby’s skin!
- Best Facial Sunscreen: Avon Sun+ Sunscreen Face Lotion (SPF 40). Because the skin on your face can be quite sensitive, yet also in need of the toughest protection, it’s recommended that you use a different sunscreen on your face than what you might typical use on the rest of your body. Avon’s facial sunscreen is a great choice: it absorbs quickly, is dermatologist-tested, and is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes!
Sunburn Treatment Tips
Although sunburns are painful, they don’t have to be a pain to treat! Look no further than your kitchen cupboard or refrigerator to utilize these great, all-natural cures that will have your skin feeling better in no time.
- Cool down. Place a cold compress on the sunburn, or take a cold shower to help cool off your skin. Better yet, soak in a cold bath and add one cup of cider vinegar to the water – this will help balance your skin’s pH levels and promote healing.
- Check the fridge. Applying cool (not cold) milk to your skin will create a protein film that eases the discomfort of the sunburn. You can also create a healing paste by blending a cucumber and applying that to the affected areas: the natural antioxidants in this vegetable will have your skin healing in no time.
- It’s always handy to have an aloe plant on hand during the summer! Simply break off an arm of the plant and squeeze out the soothing, naturally pain-relieving nectar – you’ll feel better in no time.