1. Laugh More: Laughter is a powerful medicine when it comes to relieving stress. When you laugh your head off, you help your body to relax more which in turn lowers your stress levels. So go ahead...indulge yourself in those I Love Lucy reruns, or listen to your kids' corny jokes and have a good, hearty laugh.
2. Meditate: It helps you find your inner peace and calm your body. For many, yoga is a form of meditation. In yoga, you adopt a series of postures and control your breathing which helps calm your mind and relieve stress.
3. Exercise: When you work out your body gets in shape, and at the same time, it produces endorphins. These make you feel good and help you cope better with stress. Choose a physical exercise that you love and enjoy so that your motivation levels remain high.
4. Reach Out to Friends: When you are under stress, the worst thing you can do is lock yourself inside away from people. This is the time you need your friends who you can talk to about what’s getting you down. True friends will reassure you that everything will be alright and tell you what you need to hear and make you feel better.
5. Music: Soothe your soul and calm your mind. Music, especially slow and soft melodies can work wonders on relieving stress. Choose music that appeals to you mood and let it play as loud or as soft as you wish. Then get comfortable and truly listen.
6. Sleep: Lack of sleep is one factor that contributes greatly to stress. Manage your time well and set aside at least seven to eight hours for some good, deep sleep. Sleep helps your body relax, heal, and rejuvenate, leaving you in a better position to cope with life's challenges.
7. Healthy Food: Planning healthy meals that include a wide variety of fruits and vegetables will help give your body the energy it needs to handle stressful situations as they arise.
Stress is a normal way the body reacts to life’s challenging experiences. Stress can be triggered by short- term frustration such as being stuck in traffic or by more major events like the loss of a loved one, getting let go from your job, divorce and so on.
Though stress seems to be an unavoidable part of life, you can find simple ways to cope with it and hopefully overcome it. In an effort to follow our own motto: relax…find the joy in life, here are seven tips that you can use to help you relieve stress.